Skip to content

Still Missing

August 26, 2011

Still Missing
by Chevy Stevens

Once in a rare while I will randomly encounter a work of fiction that I know will affect my life forever. Room is one such book, Secret Daughter is another, and Still Missing by Chevy Stevens is now on that list as well.

This is the story of Annie O’Sullivan: a 32-year-old realtor who is abducted while hosting an open house.  Annie is taken to an isolated cabin by her abductor – whom she refers to as “The Freak” – where she is held captive for over a year. The reader knows, from the very beginning, that Annie survives the kidnapping because each chapter has her recounting the past to her therapist.

Still Missing isn’t just about Annie’s abduction and subsequent captivity, however, but about her survival, and her re-entry into society. And as if that didn’t make this book spectacular enough, author Chevy Stevens throws in several unexpected twists that will no doubt surprise even the most seasoned suspense lover.

Stevens handles a number of delicate subjects so honestly and realistically that one has to wonder where she pulled her remarkable insight from. The truth is it’s not easy to read some of the graphic, often horrific details of the abuse Annie endures, but in the same way it’s difficult to avert your eyes from a car crash, you simply won’t be able to stop reading this book because it is that engrossing.

Bottom Line: Still Missing is spellbinding, fascinating, touching, and shocking. Find this book. Read it. And then wish – like me – that every book you read afterwards is as engaging as this one.

Advertisements
18 Comments leave one →
  1. August 26, 2011 5:28 am

This is normally the type of book I wouldn’t pick up. Reminds me of Jodi Picoult. But now, after reading The Help (when I really didn’t think I would like it) – and LOVING it – especially after reading your review 🙂 – I will give this one a chance. Sounds engrossing, and that’s what I need.

• August 26, 2011 8:02 pm

Let me know if you read it – I’d love to know what you think.

• September 8, 2011 6:48 pm

I still haven’t got around to it yet…reading “Bitter is the New Black”…I need a laugh desperately! (it is funny by the way but took me a while to get into it – have you read it??).

But thanks for saying you’d like to know what I think. Especially after being told by a number or bashers that my book reviews and grammer suck. Not so nice.

• September 9, 2011 6:55 am

“Bitter is the New Black” is one of my favorites! I definitely loved it.

2. August 26, 2011 9:04 am

Thanks, Ameena…I hadn’t heard of this book. It sounds like something I want to read. I love good twists in a novel!

• August 26, 2011 8:03 pm

The twists in this one are amazing. Let me know if you read it Fran!

3. August 26, 2011 10:38 am

I’d never even heard of this author. Love that! Thanks, I’ll keep it on my list. I really enjoyed secret daughter by the way. I could relate to so many parts of it.

• August 26, 2011 8:04 pm

I could relate to Secret Daughter too. Thankfully I cannot relate to this one at all. But it is still phenomenal.

4. Ruhi permalink
    August 26, 2011 12:56 pm

That’s how I felt about Room as well. And it seems like this book is will have similar trauma to my brain. I can’t wait to run out and get it. Thanks for the great review!

• August 26, 2011 8:04 pm

I hope you enjoy this Ruhi. I was definitely traumatized but I’m still glad I read it. I felt the same way about Room.

• August 28, 2011 1:23 pm

Let me know if you read it Ruhi – I can’t wait to hear what others think.

5. August 26, 2011 2:11 pm

I haven’t heard of this one either but it sound like it has some parallels to Room.

I wish I had the time to read like I did in the summer. My list keeps getting longer and I can’t keep up! I don’t mind though ; )

• August 26, 2011 8:05 pm

It’s definitely similar to Room but from an adult’s perspective. Let me know what you think of it Susan, if you get around to reading it.

6. August 26, 2011 7:30 pm

This seems like an interesting book! It’s a scary concept and I’m curious to know if real estate agents think about their safety when they go show properties to strangers.

• August 26, 2011 8:06 pm

It never occurred to me how much they put themselves in danger during something as simple as an open house. Scary what can happen.

7. February 17, 2012 5:59 am

I love reading still missing, well in fact that it has some kind of gore, it is indeed very thrilling, another very compelling book, and one recommendation, if you guys have a heart problem, i bet you guys should reconsider reading another book.

• February 20, 2012 9:19 am

It is definitely thrilling! A bit hard to read at certain points but amazing nonetheless.

Trackbacks